Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Chaos Realm!!!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote Multiquote
Add Reply
Fire Island Terrain; from DMO
Topic Started: May 10 2017, 08:20 PM (875 Views)
Marek
Member Avatar
BeastMaster Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

So I have been playing around with the ground tiles/textures from DMO and man they are a bit of a pain. The rock texture didn't come out that great, it looks more like a marble floor. But this is the best I can do for now, I am playing with all the game tiles to get them to fit into Wc3 so I'll update over time.

Pathing:
TerrainArt\Ashenvale\

Updated:
Added an mdx overlay for the ground textures. Using Magos just change the texture pathing to the terrain you want. So if you want to use it for ashenvale dirt, then its pathing would be TerrainArt\Ashenvale\Ashen_Dirt.blp. Using the map editor you can set the angles of it to fix/enhance any ground terrain.
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Fire_Island_Tiles.rar (904.43 KB)
Attachments: WC3ScrnShot_051017_131257_01.png (1.09 MB)
Attachments: Overlay.mdx (1.49 KB)
Edited by Marek, May 11 2017, 03:10 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post

MagaRa
Member Avatar
Dragon Balls Holder
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Some guys that are doing chinese mod based on heroes of the storm have figured out how to make tiles better. They figured out how to make them without grid.

My friend kantarion from wcunderground spoke about that:

''Ye,i believe its not rocket science , but tbh i dont know anything about it.
I was viewing some SLK scripts on some forums , and i came to conclusion that wc3 default sample tile limit could be edited in slk , (64 tile sample on 512 pixel,128 on 1024 etc)

So we could have 512 on 1024 pixels,i am pretty sure that feature exist , cause i saw scripts ...
The whole concept is wc3 engine reads 1024 picture as 128 tileable sample not as whole !

Also chinese repingan boss is creator of his tiles (i believe wc3 project The Storm is Coming) . He use some tool in image manipulation software that allows 256 on 1024 EASY WITH NO GRID !''
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Online Profile Quote Post

Marek
Member Avatar
BeastMaster Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
I think I have run across it a few times on GA, pretty sure the name is "Dawn of the Storm". I downloaded their content awhile back, I'll have to review it to see what they did. I've been too lazy to mess around with SLKs, but sooner or later I'll have to. I guess I'll start now.

What I have been doing is going off of original ground tiles from Wc3 as a basis and using SD_Ryoko's guide to custom tiles. With some of the tiles I have restricted them to 256 to get a better look, while with 512 I have messed around with the random tile parts to hide the grid. Which works great for things like sand/dirt or leaves/grass, but sucks for hard surfaces unless they have a tiled look.

If you really want to see something nutts for terrain go here. So hopefully I will eventually be able to do something like that. Currently I'm studying Norenne's & Repingan's stuff, so eventually I'll put out better stuff.

I think I'll wait to put out all the terrains from DMO until I can get them to look nice. Thanks for telling me about this, it will help!
Edited by Marek, May 10 2017, 10:36 PM.
Posted Image

MagaRa
Member Avatar
Dragon Balls Holder
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Repingan is the master. He/she said that it's a complicated process that he/she doesn't know how to teach or explain. I think he/she said that it was achieved by studying how tilesets work in Dota 2, but I'm not exactly sure.

Take a look here: http://wcunderground.freeforums.org/who-will-make-the-model-action-i-need-model-action-t6687-10.html

Marek
Member Avatar
BeastMaster Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
I finished reading all his posts on GA and I'm learning a bit. He did figure it out through going through the Dota stuff on GA. He also did a mod called Nice World, but I can't find the dl for it (that would be too easy).

From what I have learned, besides the slk stuff, is that he uses tga vs. blp with a lot of the ground textures. With some of the tiles there is an actual mdx overlay, by making their texture pathing the same as the ground texture. So for my stuff I would use "TerrainArt\Ashenvale\whatever.tga", which gives me something way bigger than the current grid texture. This is really tedious though and really is more for map modding but I will include with my stuff.

I found another hd texture source, other than Repingan10, the guy's name on GA is "Thriller". He's been posting dota and D3 ground textured maps, so I have that to go through. Besides his stuff I got the Ascención mod, which uses HD ground textures. So I'm going to do an all nighter to wrap this up. This is eating into my DMO conversion time QQ_D
Posted Image

Unryze
Member Avatar

Lord Morgul
May 11 2017, 04:11 AM
I finished reading all his posts on GA and I'm learning a bit. He did figure it out through going through the Dota stuff on GA. He also did a mod called Nice World, but I can't find the dl for it (that would be too easy).

From what I have learned, besides the slk stuff, is that he uses tga vs. blp with a lot of the ground textures. With some of the tiles there is an actual mdx overlay, by making their texture pathing the same as the ground texture. So for my stuff I would use "TerrainArt\Ashenvale\whatever.tga", which gives me something way bigger than the current grid texture. This is really tedious though and really is more for map modding but I will include with my stuff.

I found another hd texture source, other than Repingan10, the guy's name on GA is "Thriller". He's been posting dota and D3 ground textured maps, so I have that to go through. Besides his stuff I got the Ascención mod, which uses HD ground textures. So I'm going to do an all nighter to wrap this up. This is eating into my DMO conversion time QQ_D
If it is not hard for you, I would benefit a lot if you could send urls for the maps that use this HQ textures, I think I will be able to learn the process quite fast.
My Map Topic:http://chaosrealm.info/topic/10567032/
Official Map Site::http://vendew.info
Garena: Unryze
Anime Character Fight and BvO Another Map Maker

MagaRa
Member Avatar
Dragon Balls Holder
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Unryze
May 11 2017, 10:36 AM
Lord Morgul

If it is not hard for you, I would benefit a lot if you could send urls for the maps that use this HQ textures, I think I will be able to learn the process quite fast.
I think I have some of repingan's tiles.

Tagged in this post: Unryze,Lord Morgul

Tagged in this post: Unryze,Lord Morgul
Attached to this post:
Attachments: LordaeronSummer.rar (5.91 MB)
Attachments: CityScape.rar (494.96 KB)
Edited by MagaRa, May 11 2017, 10:53 AM.

Unryze
Member Avatar

MagaRa
May 11 2017, 10:47 AM
Unryze
May 11 2017, 10:36 AM
Lord Morgul

I think I have some of repingan's tiles.

Useless text that I wrote due to misunderstanding

Okay, now I understand what he did, and if that's really it then I am very disappointed.
Pretty much all he did is weld the textures, take parts, extend, transfer alpha channel and that is it.
Hopefully this info helps you, and yes, no scripts are involved apparently, but I will check just to make sure.

Yep, now I understand how he did it, as you can see it works just fine in world editor, thus meaning all he did is fiddle around with textures... Meh and I got all hype for this :\Posted Image

Attached to this post:
Attachments: 123.jpg (110.95 KB)
Edited by Unryze, May 11 2017, 12:41 PM.

Marek
Member Avatar
BeastMaster Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Yep, now I understand how he did it, as you can see it works just fine in world editor, thus meaning all he did is fiddle around with textures... Meh and I got all hype for this :\

You and me both QQ_D Good job though, should have thought of using alpha tile. If anyone wants the links for the dota, hd or D3 map stuff just pm me. Thanks Unryze MagaRa for the help!
Posted Image

Unryze
Member Avatar

Lord Morgul
May 11 2017, 02:40 PM
Quote:

Yep, now I understand how he did it, as you can see it works just fine in world editor, thus meaning all he did is fiddle around with textures... Meh and I got all hype for this :\

You and me both QQ_D Good job though, should have thought of using alpha tile. If anyone wants the links for the dota, hd or D3 map stuff just pm me. Thanks Unryze MagaRa for the help!
Well he did one thing though, he made a good alpha channel, or maybe it was there from the beginning, not really sure, as without an appropriate alpha channel this is all kinda pointless.

Marek
Member Avatar
BeastMaster Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Yeah I'm going to have to do a bit more editing of the DMO textures before I release them because of this. So after I do a bit more fun stuff with models, I'll finish all this up.
Posted Image

kantarion
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Lord Morgul
May 11 2017, 03:30 PM
Yeah I'm going to have to do a bit more editing of the DMO textures before I release them because of this. So after I do a bit more fun stuff with models, I'll finish all this up.
Guys,it has nothing to do with repingan apha channel . He just drew custom alpha channel...
Computer scientist explained it theoretically,he is called DrSuperGood,member of hive comunity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note : I talk about wc3 tiles,not tile samples attach to mdx (thats method for maps only).This method removes grid/seams ingame...

Read page 21 from my first post,until page 22...

https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/warcraft-3-patch-wish-list.257163/page-21

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shortly blizzard fucked up basic uv map tile for tilesets.Whatever u make it perfectly tileable in photoshop it will show u seams/grid ingame.
Chinese method takes a tilable image sample for example 128x128 pixels.They downsize to 127x127 (not sure) and put that inside 128x128 . They then blend that on wc3 tileset 1024x512 tga format. When you do this u will see a border similar to miroring image . Inside that border there is merging line which u should reduce visibility with eraser tool. This remove seams/grid .DrSuperGood explained measurments for borders and how wide that line should be. Thats the basics in practice
Edited by kantarion, May 12 2017, 09:07 PM.

Unryze
Member Avatar

kantarion
May 12 2017, 09:04 PM
Lord Morgul
May 11 2017, 03:30 PM
Guys,it has nothing to do with repingan apha channel . He just drew custom alpha channel...
Computer scientist explained it theoretically,he is called DrSuperGood,member of hive comunity.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note : I talk about wc3 tiles,not tile samples attach to mdx (thats method for maps only).This method removes grid/seams ingame...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shortly blizzard fucked up basic uv map tile for tilesets.Whatever u make it perfectly tileable in photoshop it will show u seams/grid ingame.
Chinese method takes a tilable image sample for example 128x128 pixels.They downsize to 127x127 (not sure) and put that inside 128x128 . They then blend that on wc3 tileset 1024x512 tga format. When you do this u will see a border similar to miroring image . Inside that border there is merging line which u should reduce visibility with eraser tool. This remove seams/grid .DrSuperGood explained measurments for borders and how wide that line should be. Thats the basics in practice
Which is what I said in the latest edit of my post, that all he did is fiddle with the tile, which is kinda easy. And if DOTA 2 had alpha channel on their tiles, you can just move that over the new tile, as long as they have one though.

The process isn't hard and I understand its concept, I will show some examples at some point, so far very busy with other things.

Marek
Member Avatar
BeastMaster Level 3
[ *  *  * ]
Quote:

Unryze covered this. The reason I am not redoing the textures to fit a new alpha and to eliminate the grid through PS, yet, is I don't enjoy doing it. And Unryze pretty much hit the nail on the head for what I have been doing (copying the alphas and editing the texture to fit everything). Probably after my next buidling/doodad packs I'll go back to work on this.
Edited by Marek, May 13 2017, 02:18 AM.
Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Terrain Art · Next Topic »
Add Reply

War3 Modding

Blizzard Modding

Other Games

Community

MARKET
Models & Skins
Spells
Ongoing Contests
Hosted Projects
World of Warcraft
Starcraft 2
Diablo III
Heroes of the Storm
Dota 2
League of Legends
Members
Awards
Introductions
Contact

Copyright © 2011-2015 Chaos Realm. A project initiated by Bogdan Radu.