Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Chaos Realm!!!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote Multiquote
Add Reply
About Blender 3D (question); A little question about Blender.
Topic Started: Jun 15 2017, 05:03 PM (929 Views)
Glaizer
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Hello everyone !!, I wanted to ask a question about Blender 3D, I know it is possible from Blender to create a model for warcraft, what I do not know is if it is animated and put the textures in the same program or in another , To that I come, you can create the model to animate and to put texture in the same blender ?, that would be great since I have a course of design of videogames and the program that they taught us to use for those things was blender.

Thanks in advance :)

Unryze
Member Avatar

Blender is not a good tool for that, you need 3ds max 2008 -> 2012 by using Neodex Plugin. Blender has outdate tools that no longer properly work and a new one that does not work with custom wc3 models.
My Map Topic:http://chaosrealm.info/topic/10567032/
Official Map Site::http://vendew.info
Garena: Unryze
Anime Character Fight and BvO Another Map Maker
Offline Profile Quote Post

Glaizer
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]

To tell you the truth to me it seems very comfortable to work with blender, but if it is not so good for wacraft, I will try to learn the 3ds max, I guess as it is the same area, I will not make it difficult to use it, another question, with 3ds max do all?. Texture animation model?

Thanks for answering :)

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
Before I start, I learned first on milkshape and then on Blender. So I know where you are coming from, but none of that truly matters when the "bullet hits the bone".

There are only 2 tried and true methods for Wc3 modeling/conversion. 3ds max 2008 or 2010 (in a pinch) since you can transfer/directly export with animations and Milkshape (no animations). There is a Blender plugin for 3ds and you can use this, but I don't recommend it for anything serious and too much prep work.

If you are doing model conversions to Wc3 (MDX) 3ds Max is your best bet. Since Unryze already stated the reasons, enough said. After the conversion you will have to play with both Magos and Mdlvis, textures and animations are easily manipulated in those programs fow Wc3.

To simplify: Get Neo Dex (google) and get used to 3ds Max 2008/10 (Sc2mapster for past 2008). It is more friendly than Blender in the long run (viewpoint rotation says it all). PM me since I am familiar with Blender and can teach you enough about 3ds Max to get you started. Welcome to Chaos Realm!
Edited by Marek, Jun 29 2017, 09:01 AM.
Posted Image

Glaizer
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]

Hi marek, thank you for answering first of all. At this point I already achieved a great advance of knowledge of 3Ds max, even in things that maybe nor use as illumination, render, among others xD. I liked it even more than blender and the truth is that I was researching it from end to end, I know texturizing, I know to model and I know some animation but not much (it's just what I'm seeing now.) I leave a sample of what I got to do lately With 3Ds Max 2010. I say thanks for replying :).

The first character is a simple knight that I will use to test animation and export themes for warcraft, the second is the head of "Fel" a female character that I invented years ago by drawing.

Regards :)

PS: I registered many years ago but just now I enter xD

1: http://i.imgur.com/IfIXUpO.png
2: http://i.imgur.com/PygahM1.png

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
Those are really good for being new to 3ds! Glad we helped you and I look forward to seeing your stuff.
Posted Image

ChelyzMarx
Member Avatar
Prince of Darkness
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
i'm still using blender, it's free to download and opensource. if you're a 3dsmax or maya user, you can set the keyboard layout and everything to match with 3dsmax or maya... but the default is quite easy as well when you get the hang of it. i feel like 3dsmax and maya are quite heavy on resources, they can get laggy at times but idk... i feel like blender is lighter... on my old pc haha

my work flow for editing a model is still using the traditional way:
1. convert the mdx to obj format in milkshape3d
2. import the obj file in blender
3. after finish editing, export the file in the same format - obj
4. import the file in ms3d
5. export the file in MDL format
6. edit the MDL file using text editor and insert the corresponding script
7. import the mdl file into magos
8. configure the geoset and everything in magos
9. save as MDX
10. rigging and animation done in mdlvis
Posted Image
*Img courtesy of snusmumrikend@DA

[ My Blog | My WIP | Services | ms3d serial | deviantART ]

ChaosRealm Features (For newcomers)
 Models Forge Rules
 1. Use 'Search' on the top right menu before uploading any model.
 2. Add border for the model thumbnail: Link
 3. Guide On Making Screenshot and Thumbnail
 4. Reporting Damaged / Unworking Models/Spells

Rules of Chaos Posted Image Vote CRPosted Image

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
Yes blender is overall easier to get and doesn't tax your computer. But, it is unfriendly to new users since newer versions don't support older plugins and has detractors like viewpoint. Your method is sound though, since warblend can import mdl too. But, using blender for certain things means having different version (I use 2.78, 2.69, 2.49b).

Blender needs to be studied, so that takes time. You can export m2d and ms3d for Magos to import, but that doesn't always work out if you don't know about downgrading. It takes time. Which is why I'm glad you posted how you do things.

Milkshape & 3ds are truly the only options for producing a viable model, since you can export. You can directly edit and texture the model within those programs. With 3ds you can animate and that puts it at the top. There are converters (like 3ds-mdx), but they shouldn't be used for complicated models. Blah blah yawn.

Here is what I do:

Ripping an Animated model
1. Either use Noesis to convert or directly importing in 3ds
2. Check meshes in 3ds and/or fix issues
3. Set bones and animations to work for Wc3
3. Post work in Magos and then Mdlvis

Non-animated rips
1. Use the needed program to convert (MS, Noesis, converters, 3ds)
2. Milkshape to set meshes to new bones
3. Use Magos to load textures for new materials to assign to geosets
4. Work it in Mdlvis

My models
1. Zbrush and everything else in blender
2. It is all un-animated so I convert it to be usable in Wc3. Then I, Noema or Dennis will animate and fix along the way.
Edited by Marek, Jul 14 2017, 02:21 PM.
Posted Image

ChelyzMarx
Member Avatar
Prince of Darkness
@Marek

thanks for the reply :grin:

I've tried to use warblend before but it doesn't work. That's why I'm left with ms3d as the solution to convert obj to mdl. so, what is the blender version for warblend? haha.

also, is noesis a converter? can it convert from obj to mdx and vice versa?
Posted Image

Models Forge Rules

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
It has to be 2.33 and 2.33b, meh. It can be done, but to get everything you need out of blender you have to have multiple versions. Problem is that the dude who did warblend on hive, I guess, lost the source code. With the difference in python scripts and such, I can't re-config it for a newer version. I suck at py anyways.

Yes MS is the best way for obj-mdl-mdx. Noesis doesn't cover Wc3 mdl format, just quake. What it does however is allow batch conversions for both models and texture files. It supports most file formats that can be used for Wc3 and is as easy as Magos to learn.
Posted Image

ChelyzMarx
Member Avatar
Prince of Darkness
ah okay. thanks for the clarification man :thumbs-up:

i think i'll have to download the old blender version because of my ms3d being corrupted :hmm:
Posted Image

Models Forge Rules

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sanatorium · Next Topic »
Add Reply

War3 Modding

Blizzard Modding

Other Games

Community

MARKET
Models & Skins
Spells
Ongoing Contests
Hosted Projects
World of Warcraft
Starcraft 2
Diablo III
Heroes of the Storm
Dota 2
League of Legends
Members
Awards
Introductions
Contact

Copyright © 2011-2015 Chaos Realm. A project initiated by Bogdan Radu.