Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Chaos Realm!!!

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Multiquote Multiquote
Add Reply
Newbie with doubts. (WoW Ripping)
Topic Started: Sep 7 2017, 01:45 PM (850 Views)
Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Hi!

First before all, I'm new in this forum. I don't know if this post is in the proper subforum or not so, admins feel free to move it.

Well. I reach this page searching help for making a little Warcraft 3 project. I want to make a few maps who requires a lot of WoW assets and while I was learning how to do Ripping Models, Transparent Textures, etc... I had a few problems for doing that.

Before asking, I'm using 3DS Mas 2009 for importing my models in M2 format and transform them into MDX cause it's the only way that works for me. I try on M3, Wavefront and other ones but I failed miserably. Same way for WMO assets. (And yes, I import character ones and I can handle them). I could use Blender but I want to use only for puntual things cause i don't know how to use it and I don't want to spent more time learning it in my next months (Maybe in the future).

My problems are listed next

First, animations. Cause I'm importing my model on M2 format, all the animations are in one sequence making very funny when I forget to fix it and I import it directly on WC3. So cause they are making my model grow in bytes and I don't want to make maps who occupy at least 20 GB each one, i need help to reduce the number of models frames. So:

1.- I want to know how to select the animations I want and rescaling them with less frames. Hopefully, making a new animation in the process.
2.- I want to know where I can find a list of X model animations and what frames are from each animations. (Only for guidance)
3.- I want to delete unused animations and non rescaled ones.

Second, measurements. How much I need to scale a model to make it visible and realistic? (In terms of RPG scale).

Third, Optimization. I know that models could be simplified, but is there any option for files like ambient music, voices?

Fourth. Modify another person work files. CAUTION. This question is a tricky one and I don't want bad blood with someone. As you read, i'm going to import WoW files and maybe I'm going to do a lot of repaint on textures with the purpouse of create new ones. And sometimes I would need non WoW assets like tiles, maps or tiles for a lot of purpouses.

For example, I download a "Water plane" object who makes water more realistic than WC3 water. But for me, each water layer is so close to another so I rescaling on my tests and experiments to make the layers more spaced. With that, you can see the same effect but water appears more naturally and you can see the bottom of the sea. Or I could export, repaint, and make a blood/fel lake.

Ethically, what I need to do? (I know that I need to put their names on credits). And the question is related to WoW Assets too.

Thanks for reading.
Offline Profile Quote Post

Unryze
Member Avatar

About animations:

1. Open up MDL VIS and go to animations, you will see the whole plane, now just click "NEW" and customize the frames it will use: INITIAL to END. Name it how you want and you are done.
2. Again, all of this (if it exist in the model) can be seen via MDL VIS.
3. Select the frames of an animation, remove them and only then remove the animation itself, as "animations" are nothing more than "arrays" that store these frames.

About scaling:
1. It all depends on every single model differently (as different makes tend to make different scales), so just find your "niche" spot and use it. There is no real guide for it, just roll with what you feel like is right (unless you rock giants).

About optimization:
1. For sounds - download GoldWave and install LAME codec, then just save all the sounds in MP3, of a chosen bitrate with LAME codec (lame is near loseless codec that provides much lower filesize).

About using models of others:
1. I personally see no problem with it, so use anything you find, even if it is from another map, do not pay too much attention to things like this, as in 99% cases those models were taken by map authors from another map, etc.

I hope this answers all your questions,
Cheers!
My Map Topic:http://chaosrealm.info/topic/10567032/
Official Map Site::http://vendew.info
Garena: Unryze
Anime Character Fight and BvO Another Map Maker

Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Animations: Hopefully, I want to use 3ds max cause when I open MLDVIS, every time i make an action (Select x option, click on the menu, etc...) makes appear an error "adress violation" message and makes nearly impossible to do anything.
Edited by Lightwander, Sep 8 2017, 01:46 AM.

Unryze
Member Avatar

Lightwander
Sep 8 2017, 01:45 AM
Animations: Hopefully, I want to use 3ds max cause when I open MLDVIS, every time i make an action (Select x option, click on the menu, etc...) makes appear an error "adress violation" message and makes nearly impossible to do anything.
1. Use MDL vis 1.39c.
2. Check if the texture the model uses are 1/2/4/8/16/32/64/128/256/512 etc x the same number, as MDL vis does NOT read textures greater than this. Unless they are identical, aka 1024x1024, 1020x1020 - will give an error.
3. Check if the model is corrupted.

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
This may be dumb, at this point, but are all vertices attached to bones?
Posted Image

ZanmaruRen
Member Avatar
All Swordsman
[ *  *  * ]
Marek
Sep 9 2017, 12:16 AM
This may be dumb, at this point, but are all vertices attached to bones?
Off topic question em_whatthe
So here's an off topic answer em_share
Yes, all vertices should be attached to at least one bone em_ohyeah
If you wonder what I'm doin, click here
Interested in learning how to animate? Click here

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
Most of my mistakes start with it, then later I go "oh poop". Thanks Zan
Posted Image

Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Well.

I try the MDLvis thing but still give me a few problems. I don't know when a model is corrupted (I suppose when textures, geosets, etc.. fails). And I have 1.40 version (5506_mdlvisv1.40).

Besides, I have a few ideas for the map but I need to be sure before do it.

1.- Could I put "decisions" in the map? One example that I have in my mind:

Mission X. The trigger is click on X character when you are in the region that surrounds that character. You start a dialogue with sound where the guy explain the quest (Let's make that is "bring me 300 flowers and I will give you 10 gold and X exp") and in one moment, you have the option of accept the quest so the objetive changes; delay it; or the original option (Say x character to go f* theirself cause x reason) that finish the quest, give less reward but maybe is a funny option (I'm thinking about two famous gnomes who gives you a quest that requires talk with my brother that is.... 3 cm on their right).

2.- This is really lame question but sometimes cause me a lot of trouble. How to import a model on WC3 when you have all the files? I know this is stupid, but sometimes I import it and the editor accept it and sometimes, the file dissapears or it's a green box/ invisible entity in the game.

Thanks.

somacruz
Member Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Try to open model with Magos and resave it or Convert it to mdl and back to mdx, sometimes it removes this error in mldvis.

If still not helps, you can send me model and I will look what's wrong, not 100% I'll find problem, but at least I can try and tell you what's wrong.
Edited by somacruz, Sep 22 2017, 02:08 PM.

Unryze
Member Avatar

Lightwander
Sep 22 2017, 12:47 PM
Well.

I try the MDLvis thing but still give me a few problems. I don't know when a model is corrupted (I suppose when textures, geosets, etc.. fails). And I have 1.40 version (5506_mdlvisv1.40).

Besides, I have a few ideas for the map but I need to be sure before do it.

1.- Could I put "decisions" in the map? One example that I have in my mind:

Mission X. The trigger is click on X character when you are in the region that surrounds that character. You start a dialogue with sound where the guy explain the quest (Let's make that is "bring me 300 flowers and I will give you 10 gold and X exp") and in one moment, you have the option of accept the quest so the objetive changes; delay it; or the original option (Say x character to go f* theirself cause x reason) that finish the quest, give less reward but maybe is a funny option (I'm thinking about two famous gnomes who gives you a quest that requires talk with my brother that is.... 3 cm on their right).

2.- This is really lame question but sometimes cause me a lot of trouble. How to import a model on WC3 when you have all the files? I know this is stupid, but sometimes I import it and the editor accept it and sometimes, the file dissapears or it's a green box/ invisible entity in the game.

Thanks.
1. That is simple triggering, meaning, when you have enough resources you stand in a zone of a unit (trigger checks who is in it and checks for the resources), then if you do have enough resources gives you a dialog with buttons Accept / Deny. If you click Accept it takes the resources and executes triggers, if denied, then doesn't do anything.

2. You need to restart WE after you import any model, as it has to re-load them into memory, and it cannot do it in run-time.

As I said before, use 1.39c it is more stable.

Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Ok. Or I'm a bit stupid or I miss something.

I upload a zip on Mega with 3 files.

(Link: https://mega.nz/#!gEECBL5J!l2jfL_PDH3EpZ7dQkxzo8mhEGslpQCneDTDgh8T5cog)

They are a creature model (Female kid) and a Building (MDL and MDX). Not fixed animations and textures cause i want to know how to import first or at least, see the model in the game besides it does do nothing.

IDK what to do. And importing buildings is the key i need to know.

Marek
Member Avatar
Deus ex Machina
[ *  *  * ]
Post the texture files for the models (blp/tga) and I'll take at look at this further. If you haven't converted the WoW blps, either use Photoshop (blp plugin) or I believe XnConvert can handle converting. Turn them into .tga files and load them up with either Magos or Wc3 Viewer, then convert to new .blps.

After that make sure your models are in mdl format and edit them in a text editor (recommend Notepad ++), then when you see something like:
Spoiler: click to toggle

These need to be assigned to materials that assigned to geosets, so that the model can be viewed. Just upload the files and I'll be able to help more, until then here's something that might help clarify things.
Posted Image

Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Well.

I post how I'm doing ATM.

I'm using CASC/MPQ extractor for all non original character files (Buildings, Sounds, etc...) AND WoW Model Viewer only for design characters and exporting the textures and weapons/shoulder pads etc... All creatures and characters are exported in M2 format cause I try in other format and I fail.

Next, I use Taylor Mouse Importing Scripts (WMO, ADT & M2) for opening on 3DS MAX 2009 and inmediatly use Neodex script Exporter on "DEBUG MODE" and converting on MDX. (Note: Original characters on M2 appear with all geosets like if you merge all the clothes you have in one)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now that I have the files on MDX format but as you see I need to select the correct Geosets (And with that name is difficult) so I create a translucid texture and apply to all geosets and with trial and error, change each geoset with one with a normal texture for identify the geoset and remove if it isn't the ones I search.

Posted Image

Is time for textures. But I have a problem..... THIS:

Posted Image

So I relocate the texture and fixed with photoshop.

Posted Image

And, forgetting I need to fix the animations, the best I get on WC3 is an inmobile shadow.

Link for this model and textures for the Blood Elf Kid and this human. I search the textures for the building later (Human Garrison Stables LVL 3 from Draenor):
https://mega.nz/#!hFtX3A5C!gWTrR2rvmA3tVVIxzgpCsM4J_26YkbxZZg_0Yr9W-oM

And sorry for bad English. No time to correct or think ATM.

Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
I think I found a solution for a few problems. I try to do my best with one creature model (Frost Nymph) and I achieve to import well and stable on WC3 (And I CAN SEE the model on the editor too):

1.- It's mandatory to load AnimationData.dbc when you load a model with Taylor Mouse M2 import? I think is one of the problems, and when I load the model on MLDVIS, the program works perfectly with NO ERRORS/BUGS.

2.- I didn't scale the model on this try and I found she have the correct dimensions for the map. I mean, maybe another problem is when I scale (50 x,y,z for example) maybe the model is so big that didn't appear on map...

This next weeks I try with an original character, a building, and practise atachments like swords, helmets, shoulder pads, etc... And If it works, I close this post (solved)

Edit (Photo of the testing map)

Posted Image
Jaina is for scaling purposes.
Edited by Lightwander, Oct 7 2017, 12:53 PM.

Lightwander
No Avatar
Peon
[ * ]
Marek
Sep 30 2017, 05:14 AM
Post the texture files for the models (blp/tga) and I'll take at look at this further. If you haven't converted the WoW blps, either use Photoshop (blp plugin) or I believe XnConvert can handle converting. Turn them into .tga files and load them up with either Magos or Wc3 Viewer, then convert to new .blps.

After that make sure your models are in mdl format and edit them in a text editor (recommend Notepad ++), then when you see something like:

These need to be assigned to materials that assigned to geosets, so that the model can be viewed. Just upload the files and I'll be able to help more, until then here's something that might help clarify things.
The tutorial looks good, but the OBJ&3DS to MDL doesn't work. 3DS files crash the program and Obj becomes sht.

I manage to import nearly anything I need from WoW 4.3 and before. (Pandaria, Legion and WoD could be complicate with no WMV support on the last exp.). My only problem left are PJs and I'm stuck. I think to export every character with every animation and rip until I get the MDL, when I combine all animations in the MDL but I think that wouldn't work.

And sorry about all the trouble.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Sanatorium · Next Topic »
Add Reply

War3 Modding

Blizzard Modding

Other Games

Community

MARKET
Models & Skins
Spells
Ongoing Contests
Hosted Projects
World of Warcraft
Starcraft 2
Diablo III
Heroes of the Storm
Dota 2
League of Legends
Members
Awards
Introductions
Contact

Copyright © 2011-2015 Chaos Realm. A project initiated by Bogdan Radu.